Monday, August 18, 2008

Ridgmar Mall Fiascos #1 and #2


At the Ridgmar Mall, January 2008

#1: We love the Ridgmar Mall. It is about 20 minutes from our house, and in theory, should be a great place to take kids because it has a really fun indoor playground right next to The Children's Place, the Pretzel Place, and Haagen Daaz. So, about six months ago, I decided to take all three kids there in hopes of passing a few hours until Jerry got home.

At this time, Claire was just potty-training and Darren was still going - um - #2 - in his underwear for some reason. We left the house in high spirits and then the van started smelling like you-know-what. So we spent the first half hour at the mall in the bathroom. By that time, everyone was hungry, so we decided to get pretzels. After eating, I turned to throw the trash away and Darren asked if he could go play. Since it was right there, I said yes. Less than a minute later, I walked up to the entrance of the playground with Miles, and didn't see Darren or Claire, but I thought maybe they were in one of the tunnels.

After several minutes I started walking around, calling their names, but couldn't find them. I started running through the mall calling their names and quickly came upon Darren, who was looking for leftover candy in the row of candy machines. I asked him where Claire was, and he said he didn't know. As I called out her name, a couple of girls coming from Dillard's asked if I was looking for Claire. They had seen her wandering around and taken her to security. I picked her up, we left immediately, got stuck in traffic for an hour, and I vowed that we would never go there again!

#2: Fast forward to last Tuesday: Darren and Claire asked me if we could go to the Ridgmar Mall, so I decided to give it another shot. They needed some new school clothes, anyway. I gave them a big lecture about staying with me at all times, going to the bathroom before we left, etc. We got there and as I was putting Miles into his stroller, I heard Claire say, "Oh, Crap! (!!!I don't know where she got that!) I don't have any shoes in the car!" UUGGHH!!! I put her in the stroller and carried Miles all the way to Old Navy and bought her some flip-flops. At least they were cheap. Then we did a little shopping, had a pretzel, and played.

The afternoon ended with a security guard telling me Darren was pushing a girl down the slide (Darren said it was part of their game, and she wanted him to.) We left after that. The kids said they had a great time. Maybe in another six months I'll be brave enough to try again. Unfortunately, by that time, Darren will probably be too tall for the playground!

1 comment:

karen said...

Cracking up. It's like pregnancy /labor. You forget how bad things were, and you give it another shot. And then you curse yourself for thinking that this time would be any different. But what's a mom to do? Stay home all day? Way to be adventurous, anyways. Oh, and at least Claire didn't say something WORSE than crap, huh?