Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Eating Out Tip #3

We like to eat out a lot, and sometimes those places are buffets - not a great place if you're trying to lose weight, I know. So, I usually stick to a "One-Plate" Rule when I'm at a buffet: one plate of food, and one plate of dessert. I get really tiny portions of everything I want to try, and still get all the yummy variety. On Friday, though, after eating a big plate of dessert, I realized something: while my dessert was really good, it was not any better than the other food I'd had, which included lots of vegetables. I would have been much better off just having another plate of food! But why do I always think I have to have dessert? Maybe I think I deserve it for eating a good dinner :) Next time, I'm going to try skipping dessert but let myself have another plate of food instead.

2 comments:

Michele said...

Real foods like meat can have just as many calories as rich desserts, so just compromise with a delicious and refreshing scoop of light vanilla with fresh fruit on top. Then you can still finish off with a sweet taste in your mouth. (Sometimes I'll just suck on a creme saver just to end on sweet.)

THE GREENMONSTERS said...

Give up dessert...I don't think so!! You sound so committed and I am feeling real guilty for the junk I have eaten these past few days!