Monday, June 18, 2012

Happy Father's Day 2012

We had sort of a non-traditional Father's Day this year - we suprized Jerry with a trip to see his dad for Father's Day, so he wasn't here. We were lucky enough, though, to have my dad and mom in town,  so we really got to spoil Grandpa on his special day. I took the kids to the dollar store, and they each picked out a gift for him. It's always fun to see what they come up with!






Miles' gift was the funniest - he saw a bottle of draino at the store and grabbed it, and said, "Cool!  This is what I want to get him!"  I told him what it is for, and he still wanted it (something you have to know about Miles is that he LOVES to clean bathrooms, especially toilets, lol.  If I give him that for his chore, he'll say, "YES!!!"  Maybe that's why he was so excited about the draino.)

Another funny incident that happened this weekend was that we went to Cabella's on Friday night with my dad.  We told the kids that if they were really good, we would go upstairs to the fudge shop and get a sample.  When we got up there, it was closed, so my dad offered to let them pick out some of the bagged candy.  Since it was 3/$9.99, we picked out three large bags, and a bottle of BBQ sauce for my dad and paid for them when we were ready to leave.  The next day, we took the kids to the Dollar Theater to see "Journey 2:  the Mysterious Island."  On the way home, my dad asked if we wanted to stop at Sam's Club, and I said, "sure," since we don't have our own membership.  He told the kids that they could each pick out one box of treats or snacks, so pretty soon our cart was full of goodies and junk food.  As we stood in line to pay, the people behind us asked if we had been at Cabella's the night before - their son recognized us, because they had also been standing behind us in line at Cabella's.  Random!  We felt the need to explain that we had just been "recreational shopping," as my dad put it, since both times they had seen us only buying treats!!!

We were so happy that Jerry was coming home late Sunday night and will have another celebration with him tonight.  Here is what the kids had to say about him in our annual primary Father's Day card:

My dad's age:  39 (Darren, Claire & Miles)
My dad's favorite food:  pizza (Miles,) biscuits and gravy (Claire,) chicken (Darren)
My dad's job:  my dad never told me (Miles,) designs airplanes (Claire,) engineer (Darren)
My dad is really good at:   basketball (Miles,) fixing stuff (Claire,) work (Darren)
My favorite thing to do with my dad:  go to the swimming pool (Miles,) go places with him (Claire,) draw (Darren.)
If I could give my dad anything, it would be:  a car (Miles,) a new tie and church outfit (Claire,) $1000000000000000000000000000 dollars (Darren.)

We really do have the best dads and grandpas around, and we are so thankful for them!  Happy Father's Day!

2 comments:

Angie said...

What a fun Grandfathers' Day! I love the gifts your kids gave him. Draino is so funny! And how random that you saw the same people at both stores. :)

John Henderson said...

What a great looking family! Kids have grown so much but you two parents still look the same! Hello from your old painters, John and Val, with H&H Painting. Think of you often.